Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Oddments and shards, bits and bobs

Well, I meant to post a nice, long, juicy account of my gad-about weekend, but I got sidetracked. So I will just tell you that I have been skating on thin blue ice over black, icy depths and simultaneously hoping for the thaw.

That's a fancy-pants way of saying I have been blue, y'all, but I hope to pull out of it soon.

Things do seem to pile up.

My trusty vehicular avatar Lois has been laid up in the car hospital for a week now, awaiting major repairs that will cost a bundle I don't have. Thank goodness for my pal Aint Liz, who loaned me her car while she was out of town and can ferry me to work now that she's back.

Then there's the delicate matter of dollar bills, y'all. The less said about that, the better, except to say that if you allow people the opportunity to help - to give, to be generous - they will do so in a way that will humble you and make you glad to be part of this big, compassionate tribe.

And don't even get me started on my poor garden - my winter garden, which is usually my pride and joy. What the caterpillars haven't ruined the drought has starved - all compounded by a gardening style best described as benign neglect. Still, I am eating salad from that garden, and making smoothies with the collard greens, and I'm going to plant a fresh round of seeds this weekend.

And all along I have been thinking about my dear friend Mary Moon, whose mother passed last week. Mary has been sharing her feelings, her process, in her wonderful blog Bless Our Hearts. Reading her blog almost always leaves me feeling tender, but these posts have moved me to remember my own sweet mama's passing and reminded me of how tenuous life can be, and how precious.

It's OK. I'm gonna hitch up my big girl pants and keep skating, as long as my legs hold out and my heart keeps beating. And I will finish the long, juicy post soon, I promise.

Thank y'all for listening.

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey. Thank you. Shitfire, we're all just wandering around leading our lives and things happen and break down and come together and what is there except that we all have each other, somehow, some way?
    My garden has SUCKED this year. Even the collards are stunted. Before I truly realized I had any broccoli, it had all bolted! I got about enough to make a tiny green bouquet for a fairy queen to carry. Had she wanted one.
    Well.
    You're right. We go on. I'm sorry I haven't been there more for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you are always there for me in my heart, sugar, so there is nothing at all to apologize for - not one tiny thing!

      I currently have some very lovely broccoli bouquets blooming. They are coming out this weekend to make way for whatever I am going to plant. The garden is usually such good therapy for me - I feel I am letting it down in a big way!

      Thank goodness we all have each other - our glorious, imperfect, loving, stumbling, big-hearted, awkward selves! That is what I mean when I talk about my tribe. It takes a village......

      Delete