Sunday, December 30, 2012

Slip-sliding away - my way



I am making ham stock, y'all. It smells good up in here. The house is warm, church is letting out across the street and later I am going to take myself out into this brilliant day for a ramble in the woods somewhere.

Oh....welcome to my blog. It's about time I got this thing off the ground and out of my head.

On Sundays, I listen to NPR - it is almost a religious observance, I am that faithful. I often find my favorite program, To the Best of Our Knowledge, eerily apt as regards what's going on in my own life. And on the last Sunday of 2012, the first segment of TTBOOK made me get up off my procrastinating, easily distracted, lazy ass and finally start this blog.

The segment was titled "Begin Again," and it was "a collection of stories about putting challenges behind us. About transformation. About coming through hard times into a new life." That's exactly what I hope to accomplish with this blog - find the courage to conquer challenges, document transformation and try to transmute the hard times of the past few years into a new life and a fresh understanding.

Which is not to say it's all going to be serious and hard-slogging. There will be plenty of silliness and pointless meandering. I expect I will talk about my garden and recipes and hikes in the woods and musical obsessions and books. My friends will make frequent appearances (unless they request anonymity). You will hear about Whitey the Fluffy Princess and other animals I adore. I will ramble and rant and sometimes I will actually get straight to whatever particular point I am trying to make.

This blog will be my bully pulpit, now that I no longer have the weekly music column I wrote for 15 years for the Tallahassee Democrat as a vehicle for my musings (which were not always musical). Leaving that job, which was my dream job and which I loved, and reinventing myself in a new and unfamiliar work arena is one of those challenges I mentioned.

It's hard to reinvent oneself at the age of 56. I'd rather be facing the challenge of what to do in retirement than what to do in a new job. As retirement is still an evanescent dream - a concept as mythical and alluring as a unicorn - I am rallying all my courage and what inner grit I still possess to rise to the occasion.

The blog title "Driving Sideways" comes from one of my favorite Aimee Mann songs. It pretty much sums up my stumbling, haphazard Pilgrim's Progress. Welcome aboard - I hope you enjoy the ride.

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog, my awesome friend! Looking forward to your posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear heart! By starting this blog, I have already accomplished one of my goals for 2013 (I don't make resolutions) - for once I am ahead of the game!

      Delete
  2. I enjoyed the tour's intro, so I'm expecting to enjoy the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just discovered your blog from Lucy Morgan's post on Facebook. Looking forward to enjoying more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my cozy corner of the blogosphere, and thank you very much for reading!

      Delete
    2. Thank you. If Lucy Morgan recommended you , it was more than good enough for me. See we are both panhandle natives. I am from Jackson co. , Graceville, originally but spent many hrs. every year on the panhandle beaches. Still on the west coast of Central Fl in Citrus Co. right now working my way back.
      And there is plenty of red dirt bordering AL and GA so thinking you might be from that area?

      Delete
    3. I too am from Jackson County - grew up in Marianna, where my family moved when I was 5. I was born in Panama City. It was such an awesome place to grow up!

      Delete
    4. See, small world. Look forward to following your journey...

      Delete
  4. I have been wondering when you were going to get this thing going. I'm glad you have.
    Happy New Year, my beautiful woman friend. I'm so glad to be able to visit this way.
    Love from Lloyd....M

    ReplyDelete